Bloomsburys Biddenden is proud to be an award winner of the kent environmental strategy in 2018 and finalists two years running in the Keiba awards for commitment to the environment.
Our deeply held commitment to sustainability runs throughout our business and we are committed to carrying out business in a responsible manner, with a desire to minimise our carbon footprint.
Currently active policies include:
• Recycling of glass bottles, cardboard / dry mixed recycling and food waste.
• Up-cycled and recycled materials used throughout the site on new builds and installations
• Using watering cans rather than sprinklers to water the garden
• Installation of a huge 30kw solar array to reduce our reliance on the grid
• 3 x 11kw tesla powerwall battery installations to store excess generation to be used at night.
• LED light bulbs throughout the site
• Encouraging guests to recycle and avoid waste through chargeable deposits held on bookings
• Any laundry completed in house is washed at 30°c and then hung out to dry when possible, thus reducing the use of tumble dryers
• All products food and material are, wherever possible purchased from local suppliers, thus reducing our carbon footprint
• Only allowing the use of bio-degradable confetti in the grounds and a total ban on glitter
• Creation of a compost heap to dispose of garden waste and green waste from the kitchen
• In the winter we use wood collected from around the grounds and staff gardens to light a fire in the terrace bar so that the heating can be reduced in that area
• Installation of water butts in the grounds for use in watering the garden
• Use of PIR lighting sensors in outside areas and toilets by so that the lights turn on when these areas are in use and then turn off again afterwards. This then reduces the amount of energy wasted by people leaving lights turned on unnecessarily
In the future Bloomsburys are due to expand our solar capacity by a further 15kw on the roof of our buildings to improve efficiency and output of the tesla array and increase energy production capacity to cope with new buildings and future energy demands.
It is the responsibility of staff on shift to ensure that this policy is being upheld on a daily basis. The Mangement carries out training with all the staff on the importance of this policy and what they can do to make sure that it is upheld.
Bloomsburys is proud to constantly monitor the improvements we have made as well as looking for new ways to help the environment